Thursday, November 18, 2010

the future.threats.art attack.






I got to experience the future today.
It was glorious and tactile.
It manifested itself within the form
of Microsofts new Xbox 360, the kinect.
As someone who is not too into videogames,
they have appeared to make many cameos within
the grande scheme of my being.

So,there I was on a Thursday afternoon
accompanying my friend to pick up her
newest technological cadeaux.
After some errrands we arrived back at her
house as curiousity and impatience rushed through our blood.

After a few distractions (youtube,cat talk, downloading etc)
we finally got the chance to step into the future, brought to you by Xbox.
Again I am often a skeptic with videogames but after working as a "videogame analyst"
my retired interests were awoken.
We attempted to play a simple rafting game. I could not help but feel the cardiovascular
work out just from sliding across a wooden floor and dirtying my socks.
Regardless, the competitor within was ready for a challenge.
I began contemplating all the necessary excuses to get one.
like "Well if they have fitness games it would be just like getting a gym membership."

I had to crawl away from all the marvelous that are the future and head back into
a November night to catch the bus. Art attack observation awaited.
On my way I got to experience some Real Talk in the flesh.
I was standing on the street waiting in a line behind 2 other dudes for my bus to arrive. I was
completely lost in my own world, listening to the "Get Innocuous!" by
LCD Soundsystem and you know just minding my own.
This man who I shall describe as being round 35 to 40years old
rolls up in his bicycle. He was clad in a generic winter jacket, cargo pants
and a used bicycle. He rolls up to the light and stops in his two wheeled self power vehicle.
He begins to stare straight into the eyes of the guy standing beside me.
I pay little attention until he began to mutter
"what you didn't think I couldn't find you? You owe me money!"
The man beside me in line instantly responds
"I don't owe you anything"
Perhaps he was insulted?Or just felt the need to spit the raw truth. Cargo pants man begins to spew:
"What you think you can smoke my crack and cigarettes and not have to pay?
You owe me money and I have come to collect!
I want my money by December 2nd or I'm going to break both of you arms"

Please keep in mind the more he spoke the more his temperament would rise . He then proceeded by providing us with an slightly evil head shake and then he proceeded to bike off.
It might be because I often find humor in the slightest things but I could not help to contain my laughter on this one. A poor innocent girl walked in on this happening to join the happening bus que and was left in shambles as she attempted to glue together the slight bits of information she saw and heard.

It's funny because there I was believing that my wait and ride would not be entertaining. I must admit though I made sure to sit behind the man who had just received his little threat. He smelt like cigarettes that had been put out and re-lit and bore a hideous cough all the while caching his fact from within a cap.

I continued to meet another one of my awesomely fantastic friends for some
art attack observation. The location was the National Art Gallery.
My memory lacks the file indicating the last time I visited the beautiful
glass cage. However I am certain it was quite sometime ago.
If I were to be an art critic, I would naturally describe both exhibits as being quite awesome.
We began with some Canadian talent. The works reminded me of the modest Canadian talent that is rampant throughout this nation.
For example; Carl Beam.
His work reminded me of an intense and passionate journal that explored the victim and the perpetrator paradigm. I forgot about the beauteous results of photo-emulsion.
for example;
There were a lot of other hidden gems within the Canadian edition exhibition. We proceeded towards the Global Citizen: The architecture of Moshe Safdie. I really enjoyed his work even more so from the sense that his work was being exhibited within a gallery that was designed by his imagination. His imagination also created Expo '67's habitat housing.
It was defiantly a trip to see the original ads promoting the domestic sales of his houses. I enjoyed his modest perspective towards urban planning. By attempting to encourage the benefits of suburban living within a city space. Plus he's a man of geometry which also makes him a man of my heart.
. I think of the pieces that were realized I was most impressed by his holocaust memorial museum in Jerusalem. It begins through hollow and stark halls that retell the rise of Nazi's
all retold from the accounts of victims. The halls lead you to this vast expanse that looks over Jerusalem. To me it seemed to represent the expansive future that awaits.

Oh art. How I love thee. All this work was an amazing art attack observational experience. So much soo that my fatigued mind has chosen not include everything that I enjoyed. A girl should keep somethings to herself. N'est pas?
Oh PS: Louise Bourgeois holds it down for being a 98 artist who kept on making phenomenal pieces even till she was taken from the earth.

No comments: